Welcome to Oswego Speedway
The Oswego Speedway, located in Oswego New York, was built in 1951 when original owners Harry, George and William Caruso converted the one time Wine Creek Horse Track into a 3/8 mile dirt auto racing facility. The track was paved during 1952 and remained a 3/8 mile track until 1961 when it was enlarged to its current 5/8 mile size. The Oswego Speedway has been a continuously run weekly race track since it opened in August of 1951.
The Speedway is now in the hands of the Torrese family, which of course has a long time history as both owners and drivers at the Speedway. Brothers John and Eric helped the Speedway take on vast capital improvements in just one short year, including a new 20-position scoring pylon, ticket booth area, brand new main entrance, as well as totally renovated VIP booths high atop the grandstand area. Several sections of the Gary Witter Memorial rear grandstand have been updated, and the construction of the Oswego Speedway Tiki Bar and new novelty stand have been welcome additions to the Speedway since 2011.
Oswego Speedway is mentioned in racing circles as the Indy of the East, as no fewer than a dozen past and present competitors have competed at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway including two time Indy 500 champion Gordon Johncock and 1969 500 champ Mario Andretti. Former Budweiser International Classic champions Bentley Warren, Joe Gosek, and Davey Hamilton have all competed at Indy in the 500.
The biggest weekend of racing during the year at Oswego Speedway is Budweiser International Classic Weekend held annually on Labor Day Weekend. The weekend features the Budweiser International Classic 200 for Novelis Supermodifieds, arguably the most famous open-wheel short track event in the country. The race began in 1957 and yearly brings together the best in open-wheel asphalt racing to compete for thousands of dollars in prize money and the right to be called "Classic Champion."